Managing benefits is tough for anyone and can be time-consuming and even confusing at times. Perhaps the most time and effort spent administering benefits comes from the different changes that can take place throughout the year. There are four types of benefit changes companies need to manage and be aware of:
COBRA coverage may vary depending on the type of qualifying event. Know the difference.
Dr. Seuss once famously said, “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” As is the case with precious moments, most people don’t realize how important health insurance is until it’s gone.
That said, one of the most stressful times for any employee is the loss of their group health plan coverage. It also creates pressure for whoever is handling the company’s benefits administration if they need to comply with the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) and temporarily extend group health coverage to the effected employee.
Understand your 401(k) processes and avoid losing your plan’s tax-qualified status
You take pride in going the extra mile to help your employees with their retirement planning by setting up your group as the 401(k) plan sponsor. You figure, “What’s a little extra paperwork, administrative fees, and contribution matching to help make my workplace more attractive and enjoy a little tax edge, to boot?”
Hold on, there! Despite all the work that goes into setting up a 401(k) plan, what many trustees don’t know is just how little it takes to lose your plan’s tax-qualified status.
Consider these simple steps to reduce employee benefits issues.
So, you’ve made it through another year. You’ve established an enrollment deadline for your employees and collected all their benefits selections. You can finally put open enrollment behind you… right?
NOT SO FAST!
After the enrollment deadline, companies still have certain responsibilities for employee benefits before moving forward into the next year. You may be asking yourself “Now what? Isn’t open enrollment over?” Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Here are a set of best practices to ensure smooth sailings for employee benefits after open enrollment:
If you were in the Olympics would you go for last place, Bronze, Silver or, go for the Gold? My guess is that you would go for GOLD! To win Gold, you need to train daily, have a great coach, stay on top of your game, and be the best.
There is no shortcut to get to that Gold medal for Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance. Are you crossing all your t’s and dotting all your i’s?
Here are a few key items to review and master in your compliance routine:
What you need to know to reduce health insurance premium costs
A December 2015 Bureau of Labor Statistics report indicates that wages and salaries averaged $23.06 per hour worked and accounted for 68.7 percent of employee compensation costs, while benefits averaged $10.52 and accounted for the remaining 31.3 percent. Taking up almost a third of the total cost to pay an employee, employers are looking for new ways to reduce these benefits costs. For more detail on how much benefits cost a company, click here to read our blog post about it.
With benefits accounting for 31.3 percent of employee compensation costs, the majority of employers cited cost control as their most important benefits objective according to MetLife.
It has been quite a year so far in 2016 and we’re not even to the halfway point yet. However, we’ve noticed some trends that will continue to carry on throughout the year (and perhaps well beyond) in the benefits industry.
Help yourself stay ahead of the curve! Follow along with the presentation we put together on these topics and read about the top five benefit trends in 2016:
When we look at companies doing in-house COBRA administration, we don’t see a whole lot of benefits… no pun intended. It’s a process that companies are better off outsourcing, and we think most people will agree, but for you skeptics out there…
Here are four reasons companies should outsource COBRA administration:
Employee benefits can be an incredibly useful tool to recruit and retain staff, and I think we can all agree that most employers would prefer to offer their employees the best possible selection of benefits. However, few companies are so profitable that they can afford to disregard costs. Typical employee benefits costs include the resources that companies will have to spend on insurance premiums AND benefit enrollment and administration.
Topics: Benefits Costs
Put as simply as possible, an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) 834 file is the standard format in which employers can communicate their employees’ health insurance enrollment and maintenance data to insurance carriers.
Topics: Carrier Connection